Cover image for Interracial relationships
Title:
Interracial relationships
Author:
Grapes, Bryan J.
Publication Information:
San Diego : Greenhaven Press, 2000.
Physical Description:
80 pages ; 24 cm.
Language:
English
Added Author:
ISBN:
9780737701555

9780737701548
Format :
Book

Available:*

Library
Call Number
Material Type
Home Location
Status
Item Holds
Searching...
HQ1031 .I59 2000 Adult Non-Fiction Non-Fiction Area
Searching...

On Order

Summary

Summary

In 1967, the Supreme Court struck down the last of the nation's laws against interracial marriage. Though the number of interracial marriages has risen significantly, those involved in interracial romances still find themselves facing considerable predjudices.


Summary

In 1967, the Supreme Court struck down the last of the nation's laws against interracial marriage. Though the number of interracial marriages has risen significantly, those involved in interracial romances still find themselves facing considerable predjudices.


Reviews 2

School Library Journal Review

Gr 7 Up-This contribution to the series is a disappointment. The 11 articles presented are not definitive enough for readers to understand clearly the authors' rambling viewpoints. Topics include interracial relationships and their effect on racism and culture, biblical interpretations of miscegenation, and the fate of interracial children. Certainly this is an issue that young people need to know about and understand, but this volume will only confuse them. Statistics and percentages cited create conundrums rather than clarify. Tallied survey responses often do not add up to 100%, yet no explanations are provided. In one case it is reported that 13% of a sample said they "would not consider" interracial dating. This group is then broken down into: "Whites 17%/Blacks 12%/Hispanics 1%," totaling 30%. What happened to the other 70% of the respondents? The last two articles are the most clearly focused yet many readers may give up before they get to them. This weak treatment fails to present strong views of the issues addressed.-Marilyn Fairbanks, Azure IRC, Brockton High School, MA (c) Copyright 2010. Library Journals LLC, a wholly owned subsidiary of Media Source, Inc. No redistribution permitted.


School Library Journal Review

Gr 7 Up-This contribution to the series is a disappointment. The 11 articles presented are not definitive enough for readers to understand clearly the authors' rambling viewpoints. Topics include interracial relationships and their effect on racism and culture, biblical interpretations of miscegenation, and the fate of interracial children. Certainly this is an issue that young people need to know about and understand, but this volume will only confuse them. Statistics and percentages cited create conundrums rather than clarify. Tallied survey responses often do not add up to 100%, yet no explanations are provided. In one case it is reported that 13% of a sample said they "would not consider" interracial dating. This group is then broken down into: "Whites 17%/Blacks 12%/Hispanics 1%," totaling 30%. What happened to the other 70% of the respondents? The last two articles are the most clearly focused yet many readers may give up before they get to them. This weak treatment fails to present strong views of the issues addressed.-Marilyn Fairbanks, Azure IRC, Brockton High School, MA (c) Copyright 2010. Library Journals LLC, a wholly owned subsidiary of Media Source, Inc. No redistribution permitted.


Table of Contents

Clayton MajeteBrian MarshallEric LiuScott LondonKevin Alfred StromPaul HallWesley WebsterKaren S. PetersonGloria Wade-GaylesMarta I. Cruz-JanzenFrancis WardleClayton MajeteBrian MarshallEric LiuScott LondonKevin Alfred StromPaul HallWesley WebsterKaren S. PetersonGloria Wade-GaylesMarta I. Cruz-JanzenFrancis Wardle
Introductionp. 6
1. Interracial Marriage: An Overviewp. 9
2. Interracial Relationships Can Help Overcome Racial Biasp. 18
3. Interracial Marriages Alone Will Not Eliminate Racismp. 22
4. Interracial Marriage Is a Step Toward a More Integrated Culturep. 25
5. Interracial Marriage Is Genocidep. 28
6. The Bible Prohibits Interracial Marriagep. 34
7. The Bible Does Not Prohibit Interracial Marriagep. 39
8. Interracial Dating Among Teenagers Is Increasingp. 48
9. Interracial Relationships Can Be Difficult to Acceptp. 54
10. Interracial Children Face Many Difficultiesp. 61
11. Interracial Children Succeed in Lifep. 67
Organizations to Contactp. 72
Bibliographyp. 75
Indexp. 77
Introductionp. 6
1. Interracial Marriage: An Overviewp. 9
2. Interracial Relationships Can Help Overcome Racial Biasp. 18
3. Interracial Marriages Alone Will Not Eliminate Racismp. 22
4. Interracial Marriage Is a Step Toward a More Integrated Culturep. 25
5. Interracial Marriage Is Genocidep. 28
6. The Bible Prohibits Interracial Marriagep. 34
7. The Bible Does Not Prohibit Interracial Marriagep. 39
8. Interracial Dating Among Teenagers Is Increasingp. 48
9. Interracial Relationships Can Be Difficult to Acceptp. 54
10. Interracial Children Face Many Difficultiesp. 61
11. Interracial Children Succeed in Lifep. 67
Organizations to Contactp. 72
Bibliographyp. 75
Indexp. 77